Dr. Jesse M. Medina attended the University of Puerto Rico for his undergraduate Bachelor in Biology, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude (1985). After obtaining his bachelor's degree, he earned his degree as Doctorate of Dental Medicine (1989) from the University of Puerto Rico Dental School, graduating in the top ten percent (5/66) of his class.
He was in the National Dean's List for all four years in dental school. Dr. Medina received numerous awards for his outstanding clinical performance and professionalism, including:
- Certificates of Achievement for Academic Excellence presented by Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- Certificate of Achievement for academic excellence presented by the Chancellor of the Medical Science Campus
- The Quintessence Award presented by the Dental Restorative Clinical Faculty
- The Dr. J.R. Gill Award presented by the Clinical Faculty in Crowns and Bridges
- The Ishiyaku Euroamerica Inc./Piccin Medical Books Award presented by the office of the Dean
- Elected to be a member of the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Dental Society
Dr. Jesse M. Medina then continued his dental education with a General Practice Residency at the Veterans Administration Hospital in San Juan, Puerto Rico where he had an extensive training in the managing patients of trauma, surgical, and oncology. He was an important member of the hospital staff team, working hand in hand with outstanding clinicians in the departments of oral and maxillofacial surgery and ear nose and throat.
He practiced general dentistry for nine years before continuing his post-graduate studies in orthodontics at the prestigious Columbia University in New York City, where he earned an Advanced Certificate in Orthodontics (2000). As a researcher in his field, Dr. Medina’s thesis was in the area of dental adhesives. He investigated which ones offer greater bond strengths to allow for less broken appliances during the course of orthodontic treatment.
Dr. Jesse M. Medina is dedicated to his specialty through an ongoing continuing dental education. He believes in always furthering his own education in the latest techniques in orthodontics. His professional affiliations include the American Association of Orthodontists, Southwest Society of Orthodontists, and the Texas Association of Orthodontists.
In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife Nancy and their two daughters Laurie and Carli, who keep him very busy with recreational and church activities.